Design & Product
- Feature conception
- User journey and feature flows
- Wireframing and UI/UX design
- Prototyping and testing
Software & Tools
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe XD
- GIT, other CLI tools
- VS Code / Sublime
- Front-end project management
- Future web technologies experience
- Browser and feature debugging
- SEO and semantic markup
Languages & Frameworks
- HTML and CSS
- Ruby on Rails
Selected Work Experience
Together Labs (–)
IMVU Next — Senior Front-End Engineer
IMVU, a part of the Together Labs metaverse, is a social media platform with a unique 3D experience. As a member of the IMVU Next Web team I’m responsible for new feature planning and development as well as general site maintenance bug fixes.
Contract Engineer (–)
Unjam Inc. ()
Contracted as a front-end engineer to aid in the development of a new social platform written in React and TypeScript. My responsibilities were CSS development (including strategy) and rapid UI prototyping.
Kongregate is a major indie games publisher for web, mobile, PC and console games. They operate Kongregate.com, a web gaming portal, and Kartridge, an indie gaming platform for PC. Their games and platforms attract tens-of-millions of active users from all over the world each month.
For 7 ½ years I worked as Kongregate’s sole dedicated front-end engineer—the last two as Senior Front-End Engineer—on the Design, Product and Engineering teams. Aside from my standard tasks of designing and building new features and products, I also worked with just about every other team on a day-to-day basis on a wide variety of tasks.
Kartridge Platform (–)
Worked closely with Product and Engineering teams throughout the full lifecycle, from concept development and UI/UX design to production. My responsibilities included:
- Creating functional prototypes and wireframes of proposed features for Product and Engineer consumption.
- Making full design comps and user flows of the final features.
- Integrating latest best practices for accessible & semantic HTML.
- Conceiving and executing on a CSS (Sass) framework utilizing BEM.
- Creating a responsive, mobile-friendly experience for all web users.
- Improving SEO performance from page 2–6 of SERPs to page 1.
I was able to use many of the latest HTML5 and CSS3 features including native video, CSS Grid and Flexbox, complex animations (CSS & JS) and CSS Variables.
Kongregate Platform (–)
My responsibilities included:
- Working with Product and Design teams on concept and design of new features and platform improvements.
- Bettering SERP placement by improving SEO and semantic markup.
- Creating and split-testing UA landing pages for increased conversion on behalf of the Marketing team.
- Designing and executing on promotional campaigns for Marketing and Publishing teams.
- Working with Publishing teams and third-party developers on app store and cross-platform game promotion.
Worked as a web designer and front-end engineer contractor for larger companies and studios. The work ranged broadly in terms of scope and kind notably for international brands like Rossignol, Keurig and Gillette.
The services I provided included:
- App & web design (including UI/UX design)
- Front-end (HTML, CSS, JS) and CMS development
- Graphic & print design
BA (Hons) in Digital Media Production
London College of Communication @ University of the Arts London
FdA in Design Practice
Camberwell College of Arts @ University of the Arts London
Introductions available on request.
Theresa Chien — Senior Director of Platform @ Kongregate
Doug not only brings a high bar and expertise in Front End technologies, he is well versed to play a role that collaborates extensively with product, design, and engineering to bring products to life.
Ryan Golec — Director of Engineering @ Kongregate
Doug was a critical contributor to our team’s success, not only for his front-end work but also flexing into any other role we needed him to assist with.
Alison Huffman — Director of Product, Platform @ Kongregate
Doug’s expertise in both design and front-end engineering have made him a crucial voice in our product org. His ability to design, prototype, and build features from start to finish has been invaluable in our team’s successes.